ALPHAMEGA hypermarkets are approved by the ISO 22000 system (International Organization for Standards). This system is the most developed one of its kind with direct reference to the satisfaction of the demands for the safety of foods, not only through various national services (Hygiene and Veterinary Services) but also of the consumers.
A System for Securing the Safety of Foods
ISO 22000 was developed by the International Organization for Standards.
In comparison to HACCP the new standard ISO 22000 refers directly to the satisfaction of demands for the safety of foods, not only through various national services (Hygiene and Veterinary Services) but also of the consumers.
These demands of the consumers are in general as follows:
- (The organization (manufacturing, company etc.) that produces, manages or trades foods should have the possibility of proving that it can check effectively against all possible dangers that relate to the safety of foods so as to be able to always supply safe final products (packaged, cooked etc.) that fulfil the preconditions of acceptance by the consumers but also by the competent state authorities.
- The organizations (Manufacturing, Supermarkets, etc.) must win the confidence of the consumers and must constantly increase the level of their satisfaction with regard to the sale of safe foods through:
- ffective control of the dangers to the safety of foods.
- The constant renewal of the system of management of the safety of foods.
- Periodical readjustments of the system in cases of changes in the requirements of the consumers.
However, the most important aspect is the fact that the new standard ISO 22000 stipulates that the responsibility for providing safe foods lies with all the agents of the food chain.
Another thing is that the standard relates also to suppliers of non-edible products, e.g., pharmaceutical companies/cleaning establishments, packaging of materials etc.
The ISO 22000 demands from each of the agents of the food chain not only to check the direct providers and the direct consumers but also to ensure that the whole food chain covers their requirements for a safe product. Beyond the above stipulations there are a number of important benefits from the application of HACCP according to the demands of ISO 22000 from a food business:
- The ISO 22000 standard is international and therefore it facilitates the cross-border business transactions (standardization). The ISO 22000 standard is specially designed for successful application to small to medium businesses.
- With the application of the system modern legal requirements about food are automatically applied such as, for example, the tracing, the full identification of the origin of foods, and the withdrawal of problematic or stale foods.
- The confidence of the market towards a business is increased, e.g. by customers, consumers and other people involved.
- The certification badge for the processing of a food operation according to ISO 22000 guarantees that the operation follows correct procedures not only for its own functioning but also by checking the functioning of the wider supply chain with which it comes into contact (checks on taking or making deliveries and the requirements of the final consumer).
- The business may participate in the provision of information where this is a necessary precondition for a certification by HACCP (schools, clinics, the army).
- The philosophy of the ISO 22000 standard is based on an approach to the whole supply chain (from the farm to the table) as well as on a system of checking all matters indirectly involved (pesticides, fertilizers, animal feeds, pharmaceuticals, packages, equipment). Thus the security of the whole food chain is ensured in the best possible way. (HEALTH OF THE CONSUMER).