Preparation time 30 minutes, cooking time 50 minutes.
1. Melt butter in large saucepan, cook onion, stirring about 30 minutes or until caramelized.
2. Meanwhile, bring wine to a boil in large saucepan, boil 1 minute. Stir in the water, stock and bay leaf, return to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. Stir flour into onion mixture, cook stirring, 2 minutes. Gradually add hot broth mixture, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf, stir in thyme.
4. Meanwhile, make gruyere croutons.
5. Serve bowls of soup, topped with croutons.
Serves 4, per serving 1.1g fat, 96kj (23 cal)
Gruyere croutons: preheat grill. Finely grate 60g gruyere cheese. Cut 1 small French bread stick into 1.5cm slices, discard end pieces. Toast slices one side then turn and sprinkle equal amounts of cheese over untoasted sides, grill croutons until cheese browns lightly.
Serves 4, per serving 5.7g fat, 623kj (149 cal)