Preparation time 15 minutes (plus refrigeration time), cooking time 1 hour 15 minutes
1. Three hours before make provole palenta.
2. Quarter capsicums, discard seeds and membranes. Roast capsicums and garlic under grill or in very hot oven, skin-side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover capsicum pieces in plastic or paper for 5 minutes, peel away skin. Peel garlic, chop coarsely.
3. Heat oil in large saucepan, cook onion, stirring until softened. Add paprika, cook, stirring, until fragrant.
4. Add the water, stock, capsicum, and garlic, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered, 40 minutes. Cool 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, turn polenta onto board, trim edges, cut in lengthways, cut each half into 9 finger-seized slices. Cook polenta, in batches in heated oiled large frying pan until browned both sides.
6. Blend or process soup, in batches until smooth. Return soup to same cleaned pan, add cream and sugar, stir over medium heat until hot.
7. Serve bowls of soup sprinkled with chives, accompanied with fried polenta.
Accompaniment- provolone polenta: lightly oil 20cm x 30cm lamington pan, line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over long sides. Bring 3 ½ cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add I cup polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer, stirring about 10 minutes or until polenta thickens. Stir in 20g butter and 1 cup coarsely grated provolone cheese. Spread polenta into pan, cover, refrigerate about 3 hours or until firm.
Serves 6, per serving 8.9g fat, 757kj (181 cal)