1. Rinse the rice in a sieve and sauté in a saucepan.
2. Add the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
3. Stir until it comes to a boil, then lower the heat and allow the rice to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is soft.
4. If the rice needs to cook further, add a little milk and allow the rice to absorb all the liquids.
5. Sauté the apples: sauté the cubed apples in a non-stick pan until they soften, then add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until the apples are really soft.
6. Add the vanilla and sauteed apples to the rice and stir all the ingredients together.
7. Serve the rice pudding either warm or cold, garnishing with some pistachio nuts.