Rice pudding with apple, cinnamon and pistachio nuts
By Stavri Kaourani
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- • 1 cup risotto rice (i.e. Arborio)
- • 3 ½ - 4 cups plant milk (i.e. almond or coconut)
- • 1/3 cup maple syrup
- • 1 tsp cinnamon (½ for the rice pudding and ½ for the apple)
- • 1 pinch salt
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 2 red apples cut into cubes
- • 1 tsp brown sugar
- • 1 tbsp pistachio nuts for garnish (or any other nut of your choice)
1. Rinse the rice in a sieve and sauté in a saucepan.
2. Add the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
3. Stir until it comes to a boil, then lower the heat and allow the rice to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is soft.
4. If the rice needs to cook further, add a little milk and allow the rice to absorb all the liquids.
5. Sauté the apples: sauté the cubed apples in a non-stick pan until they soften, then add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until the apples are really soft.
6. Add the vanilla and sauteed apples to the rice and stir all the ingredients together.
7. Serve the rice pudding either warm or cold, garnishing with some pistachio nuts.