2 eggplants, medium sized
3 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 tsp thyme, finely chopped
1 tsp sweet paprika
250 g minced meat
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup parmesan, grated
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Remove the stems and cut the eggplants in half, lengthwise.
- Use a sharp knife to score the flesh, add some salt and set the eggplants aside for half an hour, so that the juices can drain.
- Add olive oil and pepper. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and place the eggplants cut side down.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until they soften.
- When ready, remove from oven and transfer to an oven proof baking dish, skin side down.
- Place a nonstick pan over high heat. Add olive oil, let it heat up and add onion and garlic. Add thyme, paprika and season. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until soften. Add minced meat and sauté for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the tomatoes and allow the mixture to cook for 10-15 minutes, until it reduces.
- When ready, remove from heat. Fill the eggplants with the mixture. Serve eggplants with the grated parmesan, extra olive oil, pepper and fresh sal-ad.